Hanson - Apportionment on Demerger of The Energy Group on 24 February 1997
and the subsequent Hanson share Consolidation.
- For Capital Gains Tax, the tax base cost of Hanson PLC shares held 24 February 1997 should be apportioned between the two shareholdings after the demerger: Hanson and The Energy Group PLC.
- The shares in The Energy Group PLC were distributed in the ratio of one The Energy Group PLC share for every 10 Hanson shares held.
- The apportionment is calculated by reference to the relevant prices of Hanson and US Industries shares on 24 February 1997:
The Energy Group PLC 550p
- Thus the tax base cost of Hanson shares held on 24 February 1997 should be divided as follows:-
The Energy Group PLC 61.41%
- The Hanson shares were consolidated in the ratio of one new consolidated share for every 8 Hanson old shares held.